Good oral hygiene habits play a decisive role in the health of our teeth and gums. One of the most innovative and effective devices as a COMPLEMENT TO BRUSHING to maintain a clean and problem-free mouth is the oral irrigator. They are now available in different sizes, and we can even find a portable or travel option. In this article we will explore what an oral irrigator is and the advantages it offers for your oral health.
What is an oral irrigator?
An oral irrigator, also known as a dental irrigator or oral irrigator, is an electronic device designed to clean teeth and gums using a jet of water or antiseptic solution at a set pressure. It works by expelling a pulsating jet that helps to remove food debris and plaque from hard-to-reach places, such as between the teeth and along the gumline.
It has a tank that is filled with water or with the solution that you want to use or that has been prescribed, and a nozzle, connected by a tube to the tank, which allows you to move it around the corners of the mouth and direct the jet where you want to act.
Advantages for Oral Health.
- Deep cleaning: One of the greatest benefits of an oral irrigator is its ability to provide a deep, effective clean. It reaches areas that brushing and flossing often cannot reach, removing plaque and debris that can develop into dental problems.
- Reduce bleeding gums: Regular use of an oral irrigator can help reduce bleeding gums, a common symptom of periodontal disease. By removing bacteria and food debris trapped in the gums, it promotes better gum health.
- Fights bad breath: Bacteria build-up in the mouth is one of the main causes of bad breath. The oral irrigator can remove these bacteria, helping to maintain fresh, clean breath.
- Tooth decay prevention: By removing dental plaque, the handpiece helps prevent tooth decay. This is essential for maintaining strong, healthy teeth over time.
- Improves overall health: Maintaining good oral health has been shown to be linked to better overall health. Chronic inflammation in the gums can be linked to medical conditions such as heart disease and diabetes. An oral irrigator can help reduce this risk.
How to Use an Oral Irrigator?
Proper use of an oral irrigator is essential to get the most out of its benefits. Here are some basic steps for use:
- Fill the irrigator reservoir with warm water or an antiseptic solution recommended by your dentist.
- Adjust the intensity of the water jet according to your preferences and needs. As you use it you will see that you can increase the intensity without discomfort.
- Place the nozzle in your mouth and aim the water jet between your teeth and along the gum line.
- Gently move the nozzle around your mouth, making sure to reach all areas.
- Rinse the handpiece after use and clean it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
If you are not already using it, you will find that the oral irrigator is a powerful ally in the quest for optimal oral health. The clean feeling you get after using it will make it worth considering as part of your oral care routine. However, it is important to remember that it should not replace brushing and flossing, but complement them. If you wish, on your next visit to the clinic we will give you specific guidance on the proper use of an oral irrigator and its integration into your oral care habits.